AmbientTalk is an experimental object-oriented distributed programming language developed at the Software Languages Lab at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium. The language is primarily targeted at writing programs deployed in mobile ad hoc networks.
AmbientTalk is a research platform to experiment with new language features or programming abstractions to facilitate the construction of software that has to run in highly volatile networks exhibiting intermittent connectivity and little infrastructure.
The language's concurrency features are founded on the actor model and have been largely influenced by the E programming language. The language's object-oriented features find their influence in languages like Smalltalk (i.e. block closures, keyworded messages) and Self (prototype-based programming, delegation). Finally, the language has a functional core, inspired by Scheme and Pico.
AmbientTalk's main differences with mainstream languages are that:
· It employs a purely event-driven concurrency framework, founded on actors.
· It abandons the RPC abstraction in favor of asynchronous, non-blocking message passing. Because the system automatically buffers such messages while the receiver of the message is disconnected, the programmer can abstract from temporary network failures by default.
· It has built-in programming language constructs for objects to discover one another in the local ad hoc network. Peer-to-peer service discovery is built into the language.
· It features a dynamic OO kernel language built upon the principles of prototype-based programming. The kernel language supports reflection using mirrors, which provide access to an extensive metaobject protocol, making the language extensible from within itself.
· The language syntax derives primarily from the 'curly brace' family of languages, but it mixes in the keyworded messaging syntax from Smalltalk as well. This, together with AmbientTalk's lightweight block syntax, enables you to easily build your own control structures.
· The current implementation of AmbientTalk embraces the JVM as a platform. It's easy for AmbientTalk programs to use Java libraries, and it's easy for Java objects to use AmbientTalk as an embedded scripting language. This interaction is safe: even when AmbientTalk objects are "exposed" to the JVM, JVM threads cannot violate the concurrency constraints of AmbientTalk's actor model.
AmbientTalk runs on J2SE, J2ME under the connected device configuration (CDC), and Android 2.1 Platform.
Like it? Share with your friends!
Supported operating systems:
Google Android 2.1, Google Android 2.2, Google Android 2.3, Google Android 3.0, Google Android 3.1, Google Android 3.2, Google Android 4.0, Google Android 4.1, Google Android 4.2, Google Android 4.3, Google Android 4.4, Google Android 5.x, Google Android 6.x, Google Android 7.x, Java ME, Java Nokia 240x320, Java SE 240x320
Global Innovation India Graphic Designing, Web Development, Software Development, SEO
Discover the Global Innovation Index (GII): Ranking the world's countries and economies through innovational measures, environments, and outputs
Instant Mobile Website Creation Instant Mobile Website Creation - Software for Instant Mobile Website Creation. Download this free software and create an unlimited number of mobile websites and be part of the mobile revolution that takes place on the internet right now. The software allows you to produce as many pages and subpages as you like
Libsssd 089m_20050905 Libsssd is a cross-platform, integer-based audio library designed for interactive applications and games on small devices such as smartphones/PDAs
Libsssd currently supports Linux (OSS, ESD), Win32, WinCE Intent/AmigaDE (hosted), and Symbian S60
db4o db4o - db4o is the open source object database that enables Java and .NET developers to slash development time and costs and achieve unprecedented levels of performance
Personal Mobile App Personal Mobile App - Create Mobile App in 2 minutes - Free. Guys, We have just launched a new MakePack(dot)com Mobile Application Creatot, where you can create personal Mobile app in less then 2 minutes
Java Programming Java - "An object-oriented programming language (OOPs) developed by Sun Microsystems in the year 1990. All Java apps run using small and compact pieces of code"...
read more FREE articles with this web app
Cibyl 20 Cibyl is a programming environment and binary translator that allows compiled C programs to execute on J2ME-capable phones. Cibyl uses GCC to compile the C programs to MIPS binaries, and these are then recompiled into Java bytecode. Cibyl programs are regular compiled Java programs, and Cibyl therefore performs relatively well
Debug Debug is an assembly debugger for the Palm OS Emulator, and Simulator. It communicates using the Palm Debugger Protocol. It's a Java application, so it works in all OS environments that support the JVM.
· The disassembler generates more descriptive opcodes. You see your code the way you wrote it.
· Innovative features, easy to use commands
Mobtron - create your mobile site in 3 minutes Create your mobile page for FREE in 3 minutes and earn money from the ads you are publishing! Mobtron.com - FREE mobile sites builder. Create your site with chat, downloads, forum in 3 minutes. No programming skills are required. Insert ads and earn money!
VVS HTML Editor Free Allows you to create html pages, view on-screen contents of html pages, save and open the saved pages
Other Software by developer «AmbientTalk Team»:
weScribble weScribble - Draw with your friends!
Draw with your enemies!
Draw with anyone who has an Android device... and a finger!
This is a demo version of the weScribble application for collaborative drawing.
You can draw with anyone on the same wireless network, with changes synchronizing in real time
AmbientTalk Interpreter AmbientTalk Interpreter - AmbientTalk is an experimental object-oriented distributed programming language developed at the Software Languages Lab at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium. The language is primarily targeted at writing programs deployed in mobile ad hoc networks